Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Double nickels. What is going on with my balance?


I am turning 55 in a few days - "double nickels" according to one friend. I don't mind getting older. I am in the middle age, but I have noticed a steady decline in my balance over time and had a recent fall. This worries me and I am more cautious.

I was moving quickly to let our dogs out and when one of them cut me off while on an area of 3 steps, I. could. not. regain. my. balance. before falling backwards onto the stairs. I was okay - got the wind knocked out of me and some brag-worthy bruising - but no broken bones. I was mostly mad at myself for falling, because my brain told my body how to adjust...and my body did not listen!

Now - I have some extra pounds and am going through the normal 50 something hormonal changes...but why so much difficulty regaining my balance?

After a little research,  I was surprised to find that our balance begins a steady decline starting at about 25 years of age.

It turns out our balance is maintained by a combination of factors:

-Sensory & Motor systems - including vision, muscles and bones.
-Vestibular system - the inner ear - which monitors motion and clues us in on "which way is up".
-Proprioception -  the ability to sense our body's position in space.
-Muscle strength and reaction time - must be in good working order.

Any disturbance in one or more of these factors, such as weak muscles and joint flexibility, reduction in vision or a decrease in reaction time, can lead to disaster, i.e., a FALL. We know the consequences which can occur from falling - broken bones or severe sprains, pulled or bruised muscles, a laceration, a head injury which can result in a concussion, or worse!

Exercise can preserve and improve our balance! 


A brisk walk, running (called jogging in my youth) and strength training are exercises that improve balance.

One article recommends taking up the Chinese martial art of Tai Chi. The practice involves slow, balanced, low impact movements performed in a sequence. Tai Chi is also shown to build confidence and improve coordination and muscle strength.

Walking on a mat of uneven paving stones 2-3 times a week was found to significantly improve balance in older adults.  Hiking through the woods with its uneven paths and tree roots would fulfill this requirement.

According to the University of California, Berkeley Wellness, 4 simple steps help improve balance and you won't need any special training or equipment.

1) Test your balance - be sure to stand near something you can grab onto if you begin to fall over. Time yourself standing on one foot with your eyes closed. My time was 8 seconds. The article states the longest those over 40 were able to last was 15 seconds - so I guess I am below average? This test can be fun as you will need a partner to work the timer. Bill and I timed each other and it is pretty funny watching the other squirm around trying to maintain their balance. 2-4 are exercises to perform to improve your time.

2) Lean on the wall or hold onto the back of a chair. Rise to your tip toes 10 times. Repeat with your eyes closed.

3) Stand on one leg with a slight bend in the other knee for 10-15 seconds. Switch sides and repeat 10 times. Do it again with your eyes closed.

4) Walk a straight line, placing one heel directly in front of the toes of your other foot.

After a week or so, retest your balance to see if you are improving. Continue to perform steps 2-4.

Practicing YOGA checks off all of the boxes to improve balance - flexibility, strength and helps with stress too!

Have you found anything else that helps? I am committed to improving my balance and thankful there is something I can do to contribute to aging GRACEFULLY!

For additional information, take a look at the sources listed below and subscribe via email so you don't miss a thing.

Have a great day!
Kelli


Additional sources:
The Conversation
Oprah
Berkeley Wellness
Get Healthy U






1 comment:

Danielle Chamberlain said...

Love the Double Nickels! I think playing paddle and tennis is helping me!