Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Soup's On!

I have two tried and true soup recipes to share with you. My Sister gave me both of these recipes a few years ago when we were in the middle of juggling life, just like everyone! They are both labeled as a slow cooker recipe, and that is true, but they are just as good made on top of the stove in a large pot. Cook time on the stove is from 2-3 hours on low. I follow the recipe but as you all know, sometimes you may have to substitute with ingredients you have on hand or make changes due to dietary restrictions.

The first, Italian Sausage & Kale Soup, is on our stove right now and pictured below. You can even see the steam as I removed the lid to take the photo. This is after approximately 1.5 hours. I stir about every hour and it will be ready to eat, if you are making it on the stove, in about 3 hours and IT WILL BE HOT.  Allow the soup to sit for a few minutes after ladling out to prevent mouth burn (pizza burn).  Also, remind your family again that it is HOT because we all know that there will be someone who does not listen the first time!

My sister sent me the recipe a few years ago and we have been making it every few weeks (during the cooler months) ever since. I'm including the copy she sent, with our changes. I found the original recipe at Taste of Home,  here. It's delicious!



And the second is Potato and Leek Soup. This is also delicious. I prefer the Sausage and Kale, but my son, husband and sister like this one the best. I don't have a photo because WE ATE EVERY BIT yesterday. This makes about 4 good sized bowls. Unfortunately, I cannot find where this recipe was originally published. My sister was given a copy from a friend, who received from a friend, etc. So if you know, or are the author, please let me know so I can give the proper credit!




Both soups are even better when served with a salad and your favorite bread or rolls. 

If you have one or two favorite soups or stews, please share in the comments below. Our family really enjoys having a hearty meal on these cooler fall and winter evenings and we are always looking for something new!

Kelli


No comments: