Pages

Monday, May 17, 2021

What kind of yarn is used to knit or crochet socks?

 75% SW Merino Wool/25% Nylon Worsted Weight.

I never realized there is a specific kind and a specific category of yarn needed to successfully knit or crochet a pair of comfortable and durable socks.

Now, don't get me wrong, you can knit or crochet a pair of socks using any kind or category of yarn - although the end result may disappoint. 

Even yarns labeled "sock" may not give your desired outcome. I jumped right into knitting socks in the Spring of 2020. At that time, my knitting experience was very limited to...a shawl and a million dishcloths. 

What really helped me was finding the right teacher. I read blogs and looked for beginner friendly patterns. Luckily, I stumbled upon the Winwick Mum blog's Sock-a-Long for beginning knitters. Christine shares everything from the anatomy of a sock, various yarn choices, tools needed, and step by step instructions.

I also found Purl Together on YouTube and  Jana's Basic Sock Pattern. These videos are easy to follow and are great for visual learners.

Keep in mind, I didn't just pick up the needles, follow the pattern, and Voila - A PERFECT SOCK! On the contrary, I made SO. MANY.  mistakes...but who cares! Nobody was going to pull up my pant leg and see that my one sock was longer than the other! And those holes? They can be fixed at the end!

With each pair came a new lesson and a boost in confidence. "I did it!" That's what matters and that's why I continue to want to try new patterns and learn new techniques.

And even though I learned what made a good sock yarn, I didn't have any in my house so...I tried whatever fingering weight yarn I had in my stash. 

Just a few of my knit socks from 2020.

In my humble opinion, each sock turned out great, and I've worn every one.  Some are baggy at the foot and shin, some shrunk after machine washing, some developed holes after a few wears. The point is, I tried...I am learning. 

I've discovered you can make socks with many yarn weights - fingering, sport, DK, or worsted. Bulky can also be used, but it may be difficult to get your feet into your shoes (too tight!). Bulky and Super Bulky (or Chunky) work best for slipper socks or slippers. 

How do you plan to wear your socks?  

Do you want to add a colorful or unique statement piece to your wardrobe? Go with wool or alpaca blended with camel, silk, bamboo, cashmere or other luxury fiber; look for the addition of a little cotton or nylon as well to increase form and durability.

Do you plan to wear them for warmth or moisture control? Choose a non- or superwash wool in a sport or heavier weight. You'll want to use a yarn with at least three plys - with or without nylon. The more plys, or strands twisted together, the greater the durability. A superwash yarn goes through a process that allows it to be machine washed and dried (I still don't machine dry, but air dry all of my knit socks). A non-superwash wool yarn offers even greater warmth and durability, but requires gentle hand washing AND drying to avoid felting.

Do you want a nice, everyday sock that keeps your tootsies warm, feels good, and looks stylish? A 75% wool or alpaca/25% nylon or non-superwash yarn of the same composition should do the trick. The addition of nylon helps the sock resist wear. Look for a nylon content of at least 10%.

 75% superwash Merino Wool/25% Nylon 
fingering weight sock yarn.

I've recently read that a 50/50 superwash merino wool/cotton yarn is an excellent choice for socks because these two fibers are the perfect marriage of comfort, warmth, moisture wicking, durability, stretch and style. I have not tried this combo yet, but the year is still young! If you have made socks using this combination, please add your comments below.

The bottom line: If you like a certain yarn and want to try it out, by all means - give it a try! If you are not sure, several authors recommend working up a small swatch to carry around in your pocket. You can remove it, roll it in your hands, step on it, put it through the washer - whatever it takes to see how it holds up. 

Okay - you've found your yarn, worked up your socks, and wear them ALL OF THE TIME - now what? I would recommend regularly checking the bottom of your socks for thin spots. Invest in a darning egg or darning kit and watch some sock or general darning "how to" videos. Hand knit or crochet socks are an investment of time and money, so take good care of them and they will take good care of you!

Happy creating!

Kelli


Resources:

The Spruce Crafts - Sock Yarn

The Hook & Needle Nook - How to select the Best Yarn for Knitting Socks









No comments: