Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Practicing RE.

In REstarting this blog, I realize the many blessings our family has been granted. Through hard work, sacrifice and planning, we are moving into a new season of life. With this new season comes new challenges and experiences. Fun experiences, and the chance to REvisit and RElive fond memories.

As a young teenager, I had no idea there was a whole world of used items just waiting to be found. My boss would go out every Saturday morning and hit the yard sales, bringing back hand picked treasures for each of her employees. Her husband even held auctions in a back building and if lucky, I would be asked to help out on those nights. I remember boxes filled with goodies...dishes, jewelry, paintings, furniture. At the end of each Saturday night, the items that didn't sell the first time around would be placed together in a box and sold as one lot. Looking through that box was like opening gifts on Christmas morning...treasure after treasure!

This week I visited our Senior Center store which is literally packed full of items. I found this wooden container under a large pile of other junk stuff, and knew I could make it work for our home. It was one dollar ($1).

I've used chalk paint, in the past, to refurbish a few furniture pieces and somewhere along the line, picked up a small container of Annie Sloan Orange (my favorite color). I haven't used this color yet, mostly because I could not envision painting a large piece of furniture Orange without my family making fun of me incessantly.

I knew it would be perfect for this piece with a little TLC (tender loving care).


Annie Sloan does not require prepping other than cleaning your piece. I used cleaning wipes to get off all of the grime inside and out. Be sure to let dry completely after cleaning and to cover all of your surfaces.I use a regular brush to apply the paint and clean up with soap and water.


After one coat in photo above.

Since the wood was originally a dark stain. I applied two coats of paint for better coverage, but you could still see some of the darker color. I decided not to apply a third coat because I liked the look of the darker color showing through. At this point, you can sand lightly with 220 grit paper over the edges and any other areas where you want the wood to show through OR you can do this after you apply the clear wax. I found tutorials for either way and seems to be a matter of preference. I sanded after painting, before waxing. GOOD ADVICE: Take piece outside or in garage before sanding to keep paint dust from getting on floors & counters which can cause color to smear on those areas during clean up. 

Once dry, I covered the entire piece, inside and out, with a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax and let it dry. There are some really good video tutorials on how to apply Annie Sloan paint. I like The Purple Painted Lady, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2weuqSaJMs. They have several tutorials on painting and I've ordered Chalk Paint from their store (since Annie Sloan is nowhere to be found at our new home), and give them a five star rating.

Advice I followed: 1) Use a paper plate and spoon out your clear and dark wax to keep paint from contaminating the container. 2) Use a thin coat of clear and dark wax, as a little goes a long way. 3) Let dry completely before applying next coat. 4) Cover work area to protect surfaces.

Next apply Annie Sloan dark wax, one small area at a time to prevent from drying or sitting too long. Again, watch those Purple Painted Lady tutorials at the link above. 


Here is where I experienced a problem. The wheat design was not deep enough into the wood for the dark wax to stay put to define the design. I went over the area with dark wax three times and finally, used a small paint brush dipped in the dark wax and painted right over the outline of the design. As you can see, it worked (phew).

My own advice: Walk away for a little while after each dark coat is applied because somehow everything looks better when you come back again.





I plan to continue the practice of RE. RE-furbishing, RE-surfacing, RE-purposing, RE-using, RE-finishing. Here's what I picked up a few days ago for $2.65.

My Mom says, "One man's trash is another man's treasure," and I am inclined to believe her. She is a wise woman and I am determined to follow her advice. 😇


Kelli








No comments: