Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Recommended sites if you are a newbie to knit & crochet.

 


Crochet                 Knit

Today is a rainy day. 

We haven’t had a lot of rain along the coast of Maine this summer and I haven’t written many blog posts. 

I realize there’s a correlation, as I am usually out and about on a non-rainy day, not allowing for much blogging time.

Whenever I come up with an idea for a post, I write it on a little slip of paper and put it on my dresser or transfer the topic to the notes section of my phone. Yesterday, while cleaning, I found a small stack of notes in the drawer and then noticed a longish list in my phone.

Like my yarn stash – my topic stash is overflowing!

Several of you have asked me about knitting or crocheting, saying you want to “try it” or “take it up again.”  This is a fine day to share some of the resources that have helped me to expand my repertoire of crochet knowledge and kindle a new love of knitting.

Most of these resources can be found on different forums of social media, so whatever your method of learning, there’s bound to be a place for you to go!

Crochet

Crochet

Crochet is sometimes referred to as being out of date.  However, there are a ton of modern crochet patterns and designers that have brought this art form into the modern age. Just look at YouTube – there are so many basic crochet tutorials. 

My advice is to choose a small project to begin with, a scarf, hot pad, headband, or coaster. I know this may not be your expectation, but just like anything, starting small saves you frustration. Buying a beginner kit is an excellent way to start. A kit will have everything you need to complete the project. 

Knit Picks offers this one.

Here is one from thewoobles on Etsy.

Once you have completed a small project and have learned several stitches, you are ready for more advanced, modern patterns. Below are just a few resources I've used. Each offers great patterns AND great tutorials, AND most are free.

Daisy Farm Crafts 

Daisy Farm Crafts – The sweetest baby blankets, hats, scarves, and recipes. Read Tiffany's about page - so heartwarming! Most patterns are accompanied by a video tutorial. 

Attic24 Granny Stripe Blanket

Attic 24 – Lucy designs colorful, beginner friendly blanket patterns with step by step instructions. There are kits for purchase through links on her blog for each blanket too. I have completed many of these, with and without purchasing the kits. The patterns are wonderful (and soooo cozy and warm)!

The Crochet Crowd

The Crochet Crowd – Free patterns and video tutorials for all skill levels. There is a New-Skills-Saturday for complete beginners.

Knitting

Knitting

I would suggest, again, picking up a beginner level kit and watching video tutorials. I find holding the needles for knitting more cumbersome than for crochet, but there are knitters who say the same about crochet. 

Klutz has a nice kit.

Knit Picks also has a knitting kit.

What's next - socks, sweater, scarf, hat, home decorations? The following resources are my "go to" for knitting. I am a novice knitter and one of my goals for 2020 was to get better at knitting, and to make a pair of socks. Little did I know there would be plenty of time for improvement!

Winwick Mum Basic Knit Socks.

Winwick Mum – Christine…what can I say. Christine has unknowingly fostered my addiction to sock knitting. Her patterns and tutorials have also given me the courage to TRY sock knitting and conquer that fear. Her sockalong is open to everyone and is a testament that anyone and everyone can knit a pair of comfy, cozy socks!  

Purl Together's retail store!

Purl Together – Jana is a great teacher and has the best, laid-back attitude...sometimes she’s in the barn or outside in the garden during her tutorials. She is so encouraging and consistently reminds viewers that patterns can be tweaked to work for everyone. You may have a different needle, or yarn and she tries her best to make it work with the pattern she is reviewing. 

 BOTH Crochet & Knitting

I have been following both of these talented (and very kind) ladies – for years! I have never met either personally, but each has brought out a smile on the gloomiest of days.

Beginner knit headband pattern
Expression Fiber Arts

Expression Fiber Arts - Chandi is the most encouraging soul.  She and her husband, Tim, have created a hand dyed yarn, knit/crochet pattern and accessories partnership. They offer a new designer-created pattern, free for a limited time, each Friday. Many of the knit & crochet patterns in their shop are both free and beginner level. Chandi has excellent video tutorials with funny outtakes - Tim is the photographer and videographer. The yarns are beautiful – rich, soft, scrumptious. It was after reading Chandi's blog and e-book that I made the leap to share some of my own hand dyed yarn by opening an Etsy shop.

Easy garter stich blanket pattern.
All About Ami

All About Ami – I found Stephanie’s blog years ago while looking for crochet patterns. She designs modern crochet and knit patterns that are well written, while her husband, Ryan is the photographer  and videographer. She also designs children’s patterns and adorable amigurumi (that's where the Ami in her shop's name comes from). 

There you have it!

I am sure there are others out there, and I welcome comments on this post to share everyone’s favorites. 

I can’t encourage you enough to take up knitting, crocheting, sewing, cross stitch, rug making, weaving, embroidery, or another fiber art as a hobby. It is a fantastic way to take your mind off of the present worries. 

Kelli




No comments: