Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Skip the expensive planters.



We have a bay window near our kitchen which gets a lot of morning sun. Last year we purchased an array of herbs from a big box store to add color and dress up the space. We also hoped they would remind us to stay in more and enjoy some home cooking!

It was a long time since I shopped for indoor pots and was surprised to find their cost had risen quite a lot. We looked around and the least expensive "my style" (plastic) container was more than $10. And, that was the cost for the small ones - we needed a few medium and large containers too. When all was said and done, we would be looking at well over $100!

 I'm sure for some this is reasonable, but for me - a junk store junkie - it is too much! 

I did find a few nice items we could use as planters at our local second hand store and my favorite discount home store, but no where near the number we needed.

Instead, the most used herbs got those "nice" containers, and the rest were stuffed into coffee cups.

Fast forward to 2020, and sadly, I was just as unprepared.  Most importantly, shopping right now for planters is certainly not a priority.


 For several days I stared at the naked nursery pots siting in the window... and then (ding, ding, ding!)it came to me.

"What is the one thing I have WAY TOO MUCH of that could be utilized in this situation?"

Y-A-R-N!

So I got to work - and I crocheted and I knit plant cozies.  

I think they turned out  great...just "my style."


Here is a video showing you how to easily crochet similar pot holders, https://youtu.be/EuK888vvnRo. You may want to place a plastic yogurt lid or something similar at the base under the pot to catch extra water and keep the yarn dry.



For the large crocheted container, I measured the pot and then used single and half double crochet stitches to make a flat panel, long enough to overlap when wrapped around the pot. I crocheted a long chain and wrapped it a few times around the pot to keep the cover in place. You could also knit, rather than crochet, the flat panel and then secure with string, leather, a belt...anything!


For the small and large knit containers, here is a similar pattern, https://hookedontillylife.com/knit-home-blog/ribbedcoffeesleeve. I first measured the container, then did a test swatch to see how many stitches were in an inch. This way you know how many stitches to cast on.

You could also use fabric or Con-Tact paper. My goal though, was to find an inexpensive solution - and yarn is usually the answer! 

Since I already had the yarn, materials were free. The cost was my time...and I seem to have plenty of that these days!

When we leave for the winter, we will take any live plants home. Unfortunately, I usually kill them off before that day comes. 

This year, I will be able to hand wash and dry the covers and put them away for the following year. I'll just have to remember where I put them. 😕

Have a great day!

Kelli





No comments: