Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Good Stuff from 2019.




It pleases me to admit I've kept and met about 50% of my 2019 resolutions. The other 50% will move to the new year, and MAYBE half of those will be met by the end of 2020!

A lot of soul searching and researching took place during the first half 2019 AND I am happy to say, many accomplishments throughout. The photos above represent some of my favorite memories and projects from 2019. Follow along to find out more about each one!


1) FIVE crocheted Christmas stockings! We've added a son-in-law to the mix this year and wanted him to feel welcome and a part of our crew. In late October, I sent out a message to each family member, asking their favorite color. I used this pattern to get started. 

Based upon each personality, different stitches were used to construct the body of each stocking. The cuff, heel and toe follow the pattern (tweaked to include the additional stitches). As our family grows, I can make each person a stocking of the same general size. 


We like BIG stockings so took the advice of Pattern Paradise and loosely followed her pattern. Our stockings' heels and toes are stitched from the same yarn - girls the same and boys the same. All yarn used is medium weight 4, but not the same brand or type. For instance, my orange checked stocking above has both Lion Brand Landscapes and Red Heart Soft yarn. 




2 & 3) Seasonal/Holiday decorations using free online printables. We have a lot of cute photo frames and these fit perfectly for the holidays. After the season/holiday, new designs are placed at the forefront and the past season/holiday image placed at the back of the pile for use again next year. If you like popular farmhouse decor or those special sayings, click here and subscribe. There are many prints (and sizes) to choose from!


This cute little garden shed
 is now a yarn dying shed!
4 & 5) Dying yarn with natural and commercial products. Probably my most satisfying accomplishment of the year! I spent many weeks (months) researching how to dye natural fibers such as wool, alpaca, camel, silk and cotton, using dyes made from nature. We hiked and along the way gathered bark, flowers, nuts, and lichen. We shopped at the farmers' market and grocery store for onions, avocado, black beans and beets. It was a lot of time and work, but the results are amazing and can be seen here and here

I'll be spending a lot of time in this little shed in 2020!

6) Fall is my favorite time of year! We were blessed to spend our fall along the coast of Maine and then return to Pennsylvania and enjoy the last bit of Autumn here too. I spent a lot of time raking and readying our gardens for the winter and loving every minute of it! Did you notice all of the acorns this past fall? Read about that here


By the way, a bamboo rake is wonderful for getting all of those heavy leaves AND any acorns, apples or other yard stuff without bending or breaking.

7) More knitting and crocheting! In 2019,  I shared beginner friendly patterns with you, as well as several links to free patterns I tried out for myself!

Comfy slippers.

Basket pattern.

Knit hat and crochet fingerless gloves.

Large crochet soft sided basket.

EASY & trendy knit hat with fur pom pom.


8) DIY...DIY,,,DIY! My husband's philosophy is "nobody works cheaper than me" and he practices what he preaches. In 2019 he gained experience as a plumber, carpenter, landscaper and painter. I am usually the designer, finish painter and clean-up crew. WE REALLY ENJOY THIS! Most of the time, we are too tired to document, but every once in a while I remember to take photos and pass along to you. I like it when others document their tips, tricks AND their mistakes and I hope it helps you too. 

Board & Batten over a plaster wall.
Ship Lap!
Memo Board from an old barn screen.
Welcome sign from left-over wood scraps.

9) Play in the dirt! In 2019, we were finally able to do some updating and planting in both Maine & Pennsylvania.  Accustomed to moving into new homes and landscaping a blank canvas, we were pleasantly surprised to become the owners of not one, but two previously well-landscaped and well-loved homes. Our PA home is 55 years old and our Maine home is 25 years old. Both homes have wonderful views and large yards. Our PA home is my age! And like me, it has seen a lot of love and some rough times. It is still a work in progress...just like me, AND it is in the middle of its prime - ha...just like me!



In PA, we inherited a wonderful bed of asparagus, and learned a lot about this tasty vegetable through research and word of mouth. Last year, we cleaned out the remainder of the garden and planted some raspberry and blueberry bushes. They should bear fruit in 2020! 

The Maine property is filled by an English Gardening style - Roses, Black Eyed Susans, Purple Cone Flowers, and Hydrangeas, along with many other beautiful specimens! This summer, I did a lot of weeding and mulching in areas of the garden which were overgrown. We added a few new plants and are excited to see what surprises await come Spring/Summer. 

Like all of you - God willing, we look forward to 2020 bringing us 365 new days to dream, to create, to GROW! 

In just a few hours...move the unresolved items to the 2020 list and try again!

Happy New Year!

Kelli

No comments: