Pages

Monday, February 25, 2019

A well-rounded life.

What does it mean to live a well-rounded life?



I recall sitting in my guidance counselor's office in the middle of my junior year of high school. He asked what my plans were for the future as he looked at my transcript and studied my list of achievements and activities. I planned to attend college to study journalism - my 17-year-old self wanted to be the next Barbara Walters.

My grades were okay and I participated in A LOT of school and outside activities. Not sure if you remember the Brady Bunch episode when Marcia signed up for every club and sport when she entered high school (maybe I'm dating myself!), but that was me!

My guidance counselor, however, didn't look at my abundance of activities as being a positive. He said someone looking at my application, might think I was uncommitted and inconsistent. He recommended I find and commit to one or two activities during college. He felt that would give me a better chance at success.

Fast forward 30 years, I am interviewed for a job. I've been a registered nurse for nearly 20 years, but have no experience in this field. (I know...what happened to Journalism and Ms Walters?)

Guess what? I am offered the job, because (get this) my experiences make me a well-rounded individual, and an asset to the company.

What a surprise! I haven't changed - but society has. 😀

So what makes a well-rounded individual? Is it the "jack of all trades, master of none" philosophy?

Turns out, there's no single formula to being well-rounded. I looked at a dozen articles with as many different philosophies.

The one idea any of the sources agree upon is that well-rounded individuals tend to live a well-rounded life.

What can any of us do to help ourselves become well-rounded (and I'm not talking cookies)?😂 Keep reading.

1) Well-rounded individuals take care of their mind. They are knowledgeable about a variety of topics. They are curious about other cultures. They learn by travelling, tasting the cuisine, and visiting off-the-beaten-path sites. They learn new skills by reading books, newspapers, magazines and on-line media. They are intrigued by the Internet - no matter their age. They watch movies and television, of various genres (even documentaries!). Their jobs and hobbies are very important and they are good at both. They are not limited by their finances or circumstances.

2) Well-rounded individuals take care of their soul. They remain open-minded. They volunteer within their communities. They listen to all sides of an argument and all ideas. They hold sacred their ideals. They observe and move out of their comfort zone - even when they are afraid. They are empathetic and sympathetic. They love their neighbors and care for others. They give freely of their resources.

3) Well-rounded individuals take care of their body. They exercise. They have regular health check-ups. They eat a balanced diet. They get 7-8 hours of sleep. They take a break and a vacation. They spend time outdoors in nature.

We do NOT have to follow all of these criteria to live a well-rounded life. We are NOT living a well-rounded life, if we spread ourselves too thin and become stressed and over-committed. If you see this happening, stop, step back, and take a fresh look at your schedule. Adjust accordingly!

As in any other part of our lives - it's all about BALANCE, so strive to live a well-rounded and well-balanced life.

For more information, follow any of the links below.

Have a great day!
Kelli


Additional sources:
I-Heart Radio
Essential Life Skills
The Startup
Success

***This print and image content belongs to Kelli Siehl, aka: kelliinthemiddle, please link back to this site, but do not use without permission.***

No comments: