Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Amazing Grace



The name says it all - Amazing Grace. I can't seem to get through the first verse (sometimes the first line!) without tearing up and when sad, I hum the toon quietly to myself.

So - what made me think about "Amazing Grace" today?


I haven't been to bible study for three months because of the full time training for my new job. As you have seen in past posts, we've had a TON of work done to our home...work that is still going on mind you. With that work has come many, many loose nails, screws and other sharp objects strewn in our driveway and around our home. We have swept and picked up this stuff for months. I swear they are multiplying! I've already had one flat and have been putting air in another tire on a daily basis. Today, while driving to bible study for the first time IN THREE MONTHS - the light comes on and the tire is losing air. I turned the car around and drove to the shop AGAIN. When I arrived I realized I was humming "Amazing Grace."

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found.
Was blind but now I see.

Dangerous stuff...because I started wondering. Who wrote it? What happened that made the person write it? Where was it written? When was it written? How was it written? And I looked it up on my favorite website and found out Soooooo much information. Here's the link if you are interested, it truly is an AMAZING story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

***Our kids say you can't trust Wikipedia and school won't let them use it as a reliable source for papers, but I happen to like it and I'm not being graded on this blog***

Did you see how many times a year this song is estimated to be sung? 10 MILLION! I'm good for at least 100 of those alone!

I especially like this part added by Chris Tomlin - make sure you really belt it out!...



My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing Grace.

Actually, if 2013 continues on the same path as the latter part of 2012...I may be good for another hundred or so renditions this year.

No comments: