Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Slouchy Beanie Hat to Crochet

This is a great winter hat pattern. You could probably use it for the fall and spring too if you use a lighter weight yarn. The hat is a modern version of the beanie...very stylish.

I asked Bethany to model it for my Etsy Shop and she reluctantly agreed...although I think she really liked it in the end.
















The original pattern is from the Caron yarn site and designed by Vickie Howell. It is moderately easy but you do have to understand the terminology. I've made a few modifications to make it fit better:
  1. When making your hat band, stretch your band so the yarn is taut before measuring. I found the first hat was a little large - but you don't want the band too tight either.
  2. The pattern calls for an "H"-8 (5mm) hook, but you could use an "G"-6 (4mm) hook. It would decrease the band size. I would still use the "H" for the body of the hat though, it is a really nice look and would be smaller with the "G". I haven't tried this yet, but am in the process of starting a new hat so will try and let you know if it doesn't work out.
  3. I used Caron,100 Acrylic, 6oz, Simply Soft yarn in Grey Heather for the solid hat. There's no dye lot so you don't have to worry about finding all the yarn in one dye lot number. I almost used the entire skein for this hat, there was a teeny bit left. It took me about 5 hours to make including a bazillion interruptions. That, however, is the beauty of creating at home, interruptions are just part of the process.


You can find the pattern at Caron. Have a great Sunday!

No comments: